Verizon and Sprint Announce the Blackberry Curve 8530
Verizon and Sprint announced the BlackBerry Curve 8530 smartphone in their BlackBerry product line-up.
The Verizon Curve 8530 will be available November 20th and will cost $99.99 after a $100 mail-in rebate with a 2-year activation. There is no pricing and release date info available from Sprint yet. Read both press release after the jump.
Verizon Press Release
Verizon Wireless Introduces the BlackBerry Curve 8530 Smartphone
New Smartphone Features 3G Connectivity, Built-In Wi-Fi and GPS, Touch-Sensitive Trackpad and Dedicated Media Keys
BASKING RIDGE, NEW JERSEY and WATERLOO, ONTARIO–(Marketwire – Nov. 5, 2009) – Verizon Wireless and Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ:RIMM)(TSX:RIM) today introduced the BlackBerry(R) Curve(TM) 8530 Smartphone, an exciting new addition to the BlackBerry Curve series of Smartphone. The slim BlackBerry Curve 8530 Smartphone gives customers access to Verizon Wireless’ 3G network, built-in GPS and Wi-Fi capabilities, as well as easy access to music, games and other mobile apps for entertainment on the go.
Available colors: Black and Smoky Violet
- Easy-to-use, highly tactile, full QWERTY keyboard and touch-sensitive trackpad for reliable, responsive typing and navigation
- 256 MB flash memory and 528 MHz next generation processor for enhanced performance
- Supports voice-activated dialing and Bluetooth(R) (version 2.1), with support for hands-free headsets, car kits, stereo headsets and other Bluetooth peripherals
- 3G-enabled (EV-DO)
- Built-in Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g)
- GPS with support for location-based applications, including geotagging pictures and Verizon Wireless’ VZ Navigator(SM) service
- 2.0 megapixel digital camera with zoom and video recording(i)
- Advanced media player for music, pictures and videos, with dedicated media keys and a 3.5 mm stereo headset jack, plus BlackBerry(R) Media Sync, which makes it easy to quickly sync music from your computer to the Smartphone(ii)
- Access to BlackBerry App World(TM), featuring a broad and growing catalog of third-party mobile applications developed specifically for BlackBerry(R) Smartphone. Categories include games, entertainment, social networking and sharing, news and weather, productivity and much more
- Access to e-mail, messaging (IM, SMS, MMS) and popular social networking sites (including Facebook and MySpace)
- Rich multimedia capabilities, including dedicated media keys smoothly integrated along the top of the handset, giving customers an easy, convenient way to control their music and videos
- Support for BlackBerry services with access to up to 10 supported e-mail accounts, including most popular ISP e-mail accounts such as Yahoo!(R), Windows Live(TM) Hotmail(R), AOL(R) and Gmail, and BlackBerry(R) Enterprise Server support, which provides advanced security and IT administration features for corporate deployments
- Expandable memory via hot swappable microSD(TM)/SDHC memory card slot, supporting up to 16 GB cards today and expected to support next generation 32 GB cards when available
Pricing and availability:
- The BlackBerry Curve 8530 Smartphone is expected to be available from Verizon Wireless beginning Nov. 20 for $99.99 after a $100 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement on a voice plan with an Email and Web feature or an Email and Web for BlackBerry plan. Customers will receive the mail-in rebate in the form of a debit card; upon receipt, customers may use the card as cash anywhere debit cards are accepted. Data plans for the BlackBerry Curve 8530 Smartphone begin at $29.99 when added to any Nationwide voice plan.
For information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
Sprint Press Release
BlackBerry Curve 8530 smartphone Coming to Sprint Featuring America’s Most Dependable 3G Network and Affordable Price Plans
Next generation of popular BlackBerry smartphone adds Wi-Fi, external multimedia buttons and BlackBerry App World; visit sprint.com/blackberrycurve8530 to pre-register for BlackBerry Curve 8530 from Sprint
OVERLAND PARK, Kan.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Nov. 5, 2009– Sprint (NYSE: S) announced today it will add the new BlackBerry Curve 8530 smartphone to the wireless industry’s best lineup of devices. Beginning today, customers can visit http://www.sprint.com/blackberrycurve8530 to pre-register for this next generation of the popular BlackBerry wireless device on America’s most dependable 3G network1 with the affordability of Sprint’s Everything Data plans featuring Any Mobile, AnytimeSM. Pricing and availability will be announced at a later date.
BlackBerry Curve 8530 smartphone makes it even easier to enjoy music on-the-go with dedicated keys to skip to the next song on a playlist, pause or play. It comes preloaded with several multimedia applications including BlackBerry Media Sync, Sprint Music Store, Sprint TV and Pandora. It also boasts dedicated applications for a smoothly integrated social networking experience with Facebook, MySpace and Flickr. BlackBerry Curve 8530 will be available in three color options – Black, Royal Purple and Red.
“BlackBerry Curve 8330 has been a tremendous success for Sprint. BlackBerry Curve 8530 continues that legacy with the addition of several important features that make it a winner for both entertainment and productivity,” said Kevin Packingham, Sprint Senior Vice President of Product Development. “This is one device that can really do it all with the email, calendar and contact synchronization BlackBerry is known for as well as the latest multimedia and social media features. We are anxious to bring it to our customers who also appreciate the strength of our network, the affordability of our rate plans and our Ready Now customer service experience.”
Sprint’s BlackBerry Curve 8530 will offer BlackBerry App World for instant access to thousands of applications. Sprint has employed an open Internet approach, and the Sprint Application Developer Program has been providing tools for third-party developers, since Sprint first launched the Wireless Web on its phones in 2001.
Sprint’s affordable Everything Data plans now include Any Mobile, Anytime, a feature that removes restrictive calling-circles and provides unlimited calling on the Sprint network to and from any U.S. wireless phone regardless of carrier, at no additional charge with Everything Data plans starting at $69.99 per month (all price plans exclude surcharges and taxes).
Sprint’s Simply EverythingSM offers nationwide unlimited calling, unlimited text and unlimited data, including email, social networking, Web browsing, Sprint Navigation, Sprint TV, streaming music, NFL Mobile Live and NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile, for only $99.99 per month (plus taxes and surcharges). That is a $1,200 savings over two years versus a comparable AT&T iPhone® plan2. Both Everything Data and Simply Everything plans are available to existing customers without extending their service agreement. New lines of service require a two-year service agreement.
The Sprint Mobile Broadband Network (inclusive of data roaming) reaches more than 269 million people, 18,652 cities and 1,838 airports. The Sprint Networks (inclusive of data roaming) have twice the coverage of AT&T’s current 3G network and 14 times the coverage of T-Mobile’s current 3G network, both based on square miles3.
According to Sprint performance data, Sprint Mobile Broadband connections are successfully connected and maintained better than 99 out of 100 times. According to a recent independent network test conducted by PC World, Sprint tested as the most reliable network overall among US carriers in a 13-city performance test4.
Sprint is the first national carrier to test, launch and market 4G technology. Separate from its 3G investment, Sprint has announced plans to extend its 4G leadership by launching the next-generation service in numerous markets in 2009, including the recently launched markets of Atlanta, Las Vegas, Philadelphia and Portland, Ore.
Sprint is also the only wireless carrier to offer Ready Now service with trained retail associates to work one-on-one with customers to personalize their BlackBerry Curve 8530, set up features and demonstrate how it works before the customer leaves the store. Customers have the choice of sitting down with a Sprint retail associate at the time of purchase or they can schedule an appointment for a later time at www.sprint.com/storelocator.