Upcoming BlackBerry Shield – Is It Just Like SmrtGuard?
There are some info floating around regarding RIM introducing another service/host of features under the name of BlackBerry Shield. If you look at what this BlackBerry Shield has to offer, it looks similar to what SmrtGuard is already providing up to a greater extent. I am not sure if this was the reason why SmrtGuard introduced their Free version or it was planned marketing strategy to leverage their premium offering. In any case if your BlackBerry is still missing these great features, you have the SmartGuard Free version available along with their premium features to try for 30 days.
BlackBerry Shield Features
- Remote Device Wipe – in case of loss of the terminal, just log in to BB Shield to remove all data from the device and / or memory card.
- "Lost & Found" Screen – you can customize the sentence on the screen to display that the BlackBerry is lost and show any information about the content.
- The ability to remotely set the password on the BlackBerry
- A loud bell alarm - useful option, even if you’ve lost your BlackBerry (at home) – once you’ve activated this option, your BB will ‘behave’ loud sounding an alarm, which will hopefully prompt a passerby (or yourself) to pick up your lost BlackBerry.
- Tracking capability – based on the GSM transmitters and/ or GPS position that is constantly monitored in the BlackBerry unit, and there may be the possibility of seeing it on the map (like Google Maps) from the BB Shield dashboard.
- Backup – create wireless backup and restore, which can be set automatically exercise in the given time intervals
It is still unclear about the pricing and release date info about this service. My guess about the price tag is it may be provided for free as another 3rd party is already offering for free. Rumors are it might get released sometime in April or in around WES 2010 time line.
If you do not have SmrtGuard already installed, check out this earlier posts to get more info and download links.
So, what do you think about this BlackBerry Shield ? Would it be provided for free?