How to turn off Data Services on BlackBerry Smartphone
Are you planning to take your BlackBerry with you on this summer vacation to other country and do not want to incur roaming data charges? If yes, then you can control this feature right from your BlackBerry device. (Most BlackBerry device has this option – may not be available in devices with older operating systems)
Depending on wireless data plan you have on your BlackBerry smartphone, you can turn off data services on the BlackBerry, such as email, PIN and BlackBerry Messenger messages and Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) messaging, browsing, GPS maps or any other third party app which uses mobile data from wireless carrier.
When data services are turned off, only the phone and Short Message Service (SMS) text messaging services are available on the BlackBerry smartphone. So you will still able to make/receive calls and send/receive text messages(SMS) while data services are turned off.
To turn off data services on a Blackberry smartphone:
- From the Home screen of the BlackBerry smartphone, select Options > Mobile Network.
- Perform one of the following actions:
- To turn off data service, change the Data Services field to Off.
- To turn off data service when roaming, change the Data Services field to Off When Roaming.
- Press the Menu key.
- Click Save.
Instead of Step 1 above, you can also go to Manage Connections Icon on your BlackBerry and then Mobile Network Options to get the same screen you get in Step 2.
In some models you may not get the options mentioned in step 3 and step 4 to Save, but its OK, just go back and it will be saved by itself.
How to make sure it’s turned OFF
You have multiple ways to check and test it.
- If you have GSM phone then you will see the network status changed from EDGE to edge or 3G to 3g (lower case)
- Go back to above options and make sure Data Services is set to Off or Off When Roaming
- Send your self a PIN message and test
Let us know in the comments if you have any difficulty setting up above feature.