BIS 2.8 Coming in September with BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 ?
Great news for BIS users having Gmail a/c set up on BlackBerry device. As per the hot tip received by Ronen, following are the new enhancements in the upcoming BIS release slated in early September. It would be better to see two way email sync first rather than two way Contacts sync for Gmail. Let’s see what happens, but I am sure after two way contacts sync, two way email and calendar sync will be next. As mentioned in the note below, it “requires BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 for two way contact sync”, not sure, if this is an indication about possible release of 5.0 OS around the same time too!?!
What’s new in 2.8:
- Two-way wireless synchronization with Google Mail Contacts* and the Address Book on the BlackBerry smart phone:
- Synchronize Google Mail contacts quickly and easily to the BlackBerry smart phone
- Add or edit Contacts and the Contacts are automatically updated, whether they are updated on the computer or BlackBerry smart phone
- The documentation says this is scheduled to sync every 4 hours and will not work on BlackBerry Connect devices. It also will obviously not work on BES contacts or even Google Mail Contact Groups whatever those are.
- Enhancements to email setup and settings:
- Automatic Login now supports most billing identifiers, which allows new subscribers with wireless service providers that use PIN, IMEI, or ESN as a billing identifier to create BlackBerry Internet Service accounts from the BlackBerry smart phone, without having to create a login user name and password
- Note: This feature will be available approximately one week after the BlackBerry Internet Service upgrade.
- Windows Live Hotmail revalidation:
- With BlackBerry Internet Service 2.8, new Windows Live Hotmail mail integrations will be defaulted to a protocol that is designed so as not to require 90 day reauthorization.
- Note: Existing BlackBerry smart phone users accessing Windows Live Hotmail using Microsoft MSP will still be required to revalidate their Windows Live Hotmail account every 90 days.
*Note: Two-way wireless Contact synchronization with Google Mail Contacts requires BlackBerry® Device Software 5.0 and configuration through email settings on the BlackBerry smart phone. Additional requirements and constraints may be found within the BlackBerry Internet Service 2.8 Documentation Kit. This feature is not supported on BlackBerry smart phones with BlackBerry® ConnectTM software.